7.0 Protecting and Enhancing the Environment
Trend all over the world has shown that sustainability is the way forward for
cities. After years of development and taking cognizance of such trend, it is vital for Kuala Lumpur to adopt effective land use planning, wise resource consumption and active wastes reduction in order to minimize impacts to the environment. Declining urban environmental quality coupled with increasing environmental issues and dwindling natural resources makes it imperative for KLCH to embrace concept of sustainability in managing Kuala Lumpur.
The key to improving the urban environment lies in protecting its natural environment and enhancing the environmental quality of Kuala Lumpur. Principles of green infrastructure shall be adopted to improve level of urban services for drainage, sewerage, public transportation and solid waste management. In addition, green spaces shall be considered as part of urban infrastructure.
- 7.1 Strategic Direction-Protecting Environmentally Sensitive Area
- 7.2 Strategic Direction-Preserving Forest and Wildlife Reserves
- 7.3 Strategic Direction-Presserving Steep and Hilly Area
- 7.4 Strategic Direction-Preserving Lake and Former Mining Ponds
- 7.5 Strategic Direction-River Value and River Quality
- 7.6 Strategic Direction-Improving River Water Quality
- 7.7 Strategic Direction-Regulating Use of Former Landfill Site
- 7.8 Strategic Direction-Managing Noise to Acceptable Level
- 7.9 Strategic Direction-Improving Air Quality